GPW are recruiting for my client in Nuneaton, who are a well- established, versatile and progressive instrumentation, repair and calibration, UKAS accredited company and they require a Senior Dimensional Calibration Engineer/ Senior Technician with at least 2 years’ relevant experience or an equivalent qualification with experience in the use and calibration of a wide range of dimensional instruments.
The successful candidate must possess the ability to solve complex calibration problems which requires deep technical knowledge and who can work well in a fast-paced lab working circa 37 – 40 hours ( Usually Mon – Fri Days) + occasional O/T.
The client will also consider a Head of Laboratory with extensive dimensional / mechanical calibration experience and are looking to progress to a more senior role with long-term career prospects and a higher salary will be considered for candidates with this level of experience.
Salary & Benefits:
- £25,000- £30,000 (dependent on experience and qualifications)
- 25 Days holiday + B/Hols
- Company Pension
- Occasional O/T
Primary Purpose of Job: Responsible for the calibration of a wide range of dimensional metrology and give guidance and training of other staff. As a senior member of the calibration team, this role requires commitment to proactive involvement in process efficiency and cost reduction and the furthering of the company’s commercial success.
The successful Senior Calibration Engineer / Calibration Team Leader day to day duties will include:
- Calibration of mechanical measuring equipment – ( Micrometers, Vernier Calipers, DTI’s, Height Gauges, Dial Gauges, Bore Gauges and Comparators etc.)
- Dimensional and surface finish checks / calibration of specialist products, volumetric / flow measurement tools and fixtures / tooling using first principle methods
- Maintain the calibration database / certification, filing system and associated files to auditable standards.
- Provide on the job training and mentoring at all levels as and when required
- Assist in the development and Improvement of Inspection and Calibration procedures
- Participate in external/internal audits as and when required by Quality Manager in laboratory and onsite
- Comply with company HSEQ guidelines and train and distribute to staff under your supervision.
- Aim to complete all work within the budgeted costs and target dates and ensure proper control and accounting of work in progress is maintained and that all information required for charging the customer is available.
- Support process improvement and functional development
- Be proactive in continuous improvement initiatives
To be suitable for this Senior Mechanical / Dimensional Calibration Engineer role you must have the following experience / characteristics:
- Relevant qualifications in engineering discipline such as NVQ L3 / BTEC etc.
- Experience of uncertainty budgets and updating budgets.
- Must have previous experience of calibrating a wide range of dimensional and mechanical measuring devices to in-house or national / traceable standards.
- Able to interpret engineering drawings with a good understanding of GD&T and 1st principle measurement techniques.
- Highly organised, with high level of attention to detail and accuracy.
- Comfortable working to imperial and metric measurements
- Good communicational skills (oral, reading and writing)
- Must be PC Literate ( MS Word & MS Excel), able to use computerised calibration records / spreadsheets, able to import / export data and alter / use formulas on spreadsheets, pivot tables etc.
The ideal Senior Dimensional Calibration Engineer / Mechanical Calibration Team Leader will have:
- Completed a relevant mechanical or quality engineering apprenticeship.
- Previous experience as a Dimensional Head of Laboratory / Mechanical Calibration Supervisor / Team Leader.
- Recent experience of calibrating dimensional and mechanical measuring devices to ISO 9000 standards.
- Held or currently a UKAS signatory, working knowledge of quality systems ISO 9000/ UKAS Audits.
- Relevant qualifications in engineering discipline ideally equivalent to HNC or higher.
- Calibration / Metrology / NPL qualifications / training.
- Ability to read, understand and create uncertainty budgets.
- Experience of staff training / mentoring.
- Calibration / Metrology / NPL qualifications.
- Knowledge of Windows- based laboratory automation software MetCAL, InGAGE, ProCal, SureCal etc.
The successful Senior Dimensional Calibration Engineer / Mechanical Calibration Technician / Metrology Engineer will need to be flexible as there may be overtime and other duties not mentioned in this job description. With experience of working in a manufacturing environment, you will have a standard-level education, have the relevant qualifications or experience, be punctual, conscientious, keen and have a practical approach to work.
If you are interested in this role and have the required experience, please click on the apply now button.
Due to the demand for this type of role, we may not be able to speak to all applicants so please accept our apologies if this is the case.
You will be contacted within two working days if your application has proceeded to the next stage.