Job title: Tooling Engineer
Start date: ASAP
Tooling Engineer required for a highly successful global manufacturing business based in Skelmersdale.
The Tooling Engineer will report to the Production Engineering Manager you will be responsible for the Design and Procurement of all tooling required to manufacture the full range of specialist products. You will be working in a fast paced environment and must be able to manage multiple time critical projects. The tools are varied in size and the majority are used for the manufacture of large moulded components, all of which are designed in house.
As the Tooling Engineer, you are responsible for:
- Review the tooling and jigging requirements for new works orders
- Design, procure, supervise and expedite the manufacture of new tooling and jigs
- Revise and arrange for the modification of existing tooling
- Maintain and update existing/archive Tooling Record Logs, Drawings and the tooling database
- Ensure all tooling, jigs and associated equipment is designed, manufactured and operated with due consideration to safe methods of work
- To ensure that mould tools are identified and stored in a suitable manner
- Provide an effective tooling service to the Operations department ensuring tooling is available for production to achieve scheduled deliveries
- Ensure that production personnel are fully conversant with the configuration and correct use of tooling with due consideration to Health and Safety
- Coordinate the repair and upkeep of the existing tooling
- Document tooling designs, modifications and applications for both in-house and off-site tooling
- Maintain comprehensive records of tooling and document revisions and changes
- Ensure satisfactory interfaces between tooling / jigs and manufacturing processes, working closely with Production Engineers and Production Management
- Carry out such other duties as may be reasonably prescribed by the Company from time to time.
Main duties as the Tooling Engineer
- To review, design and specify production tooling used in the manufacture of products in a cost- effective manner
- Revise and modify tooling as required in line with current manufacturing techniques
- Liaise with subcontract tooling manufacturers regarding the negotiation of price, specification and completion schedule for tools
- Oversee the introduction and commissioning of new tool designs
- Contribute to production issue troubleshooting
The successful Tooling Engineer will need the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Design production tooling from component drawings
- Be completely proficient in using 3D Cad Modelling software
- Effectively deal with Tooling Manufacturers, to deliver on cost, quality and time
- Be ‘Hands On’ if the need arises to get a job done
- Thoroughly understand machining and fabrication methods You are likely to be educated to:
- Minimum of HNC in a Mechanical Engineering qualification
- Fully trained and qualified in a 3D CAD Modelling Package – AutoDesk Inventor preferred
Education required by the Tooling Engineer
- College educated or Technical background (considered, subject to experience).
- Degree level in an Engineering discipline (preferred).
Experience required by the Tooling Engineer
- Working in a manufacturing environment delivering production tooling to critical deadlines
- Experience years in a Tooling design role
- Communicating across departments
- Adopting alternative technologies / processes for tooling solutions to gain a cost / leadtime advantage
As the Tooling Engineer you’ll receive.
- Salary negotiable based on experience
- 39 hour working per week
- Holidays 24 days per annum
- 4% Pension
To apply for the role of Tooling Engineer please click apply now.